North Iowa Area Community College considers education to be the foundation of a democratic society. At the core of the educational experience is general education, an ongoing endeavor that engages students in acquiring the knowledge and tools necessary to under-stand their environment and contribute to their communities.
The purpose of the Associate in Science Degree is to provide a degree goal for students who choose to follow a Natural Science degree program.
Requirements for the degree include:
- Completion of at least sixty-two (62) semester hours of work consisting of courses whose principal design is for a baccalaureate program. Up to 16 semester hours of career courses can be used as elective credit. Developmental courses cannot be used to meet this requirement.
- One-half of the required semester hours must be completed under the aegis of North Iowa Area Community College including 15 of the last 30 semester hours.
- A minimum overall cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) including a 2.00 (C) cumulative grade point average in all course work at NIACC. Developmental courses are not used in calculating the cumulative grade point average for graduation.
- Completion of College Essentials (1 s.h.) – SDV-199
- Completion of the following General Education Core with a minimum of 41 semester hours:
Communication 9 s.h.
Social Sciences/Humanities 8 s.h.
Natural Science/Mathematics 20 s.h.
(must include at least one math and at least one science course)
Distributed Requirement 4 s.h.