Workforce Investment Act (WIA) assists people with job search coaching, employment skills, and training needed to be successful in today’s workforce.
IowaWORKS member may first access self-directed, Core Services. These include:
- Job search assistance
- Resume Development
- Job seeking skills workshops
- Upgrade basic computer skills
- Exploration of labor market information
- Initial career interest assessment
If employment is not achieved after use of Core Services, a member may seek WIA Intensive Services. In addition to meeting Adult or Dislocated Worker eligibility, other criteria includes but is not limited to : eighteen years of age or older, meet citizenship and Select Service requirements, and reside in IowaWORKS-North Iowa seven county region.
AccessingWIA services starts with an application and attending a one-hour introduction to WIA session that will outline eligibility and program requirements.
WIA Intensive Services may include:
- Comprehensive assessment of work history, interests, skills and aptitudes
- Development of an individual employment plan
- Job search strategy coaching
- Essential workplace skills training
- Work experience intership
- Short-term occupational skills classes
WIA Training services may be available to WIA participants who do not find self-sustaining employment after receiving Core and Intensive Services. Progression through Core and Intensive Services and enrollment into WIA Training Services needs to occur prior to starting a training program.
WIA Training Services may include:
- On-the-job training
- Adult education and literacy programs (GED)
- Post high school education which must:
- Lead to a recognized certification, diploma, or degree and be completed within two years of starting the program
- Lead to an occupation with positive employment projections and self-sustaining wage
- be on WIA’s approved training provider and program list
WIA Support Services
WIA may provide other services that help support successful completion of Intensive or Training Services.
- Transportation Reimbursement
- Work-required Uniforms or Tools
- Occupational Licenses
WIA assistance is dependent on eligibility, available funding, and funding limits.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program