The Iowa Arts Council has announced the Fiscal Year 2016 new awards for the Cultural Leadership Partner Art Project Grant.
“Receiving state support of our new series is very exciting,” said North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) Performing Arts and Leadership Director Elizabeth Gales. “This program is designed to benefit all area students, regardless of economic background. We have selected programming that will help enhance the work teachers are doing to inspire students to love reading. We are also excited to offer a special program on cyber-bullying, ‘Out of Bounds’, which is a very timely piece for our schools given the developments over the past year.”
Art Project Grants create opportunities for the arts to flourish in Iowa by investing in projects that positively impact the vitality of the arts in the state, demonstrate public value, and support Iowa Arts Council funding priorities.
The Literature to Life Series brings world-class performing artists and diverse art forms to the NIACC stage for school audiences for $1 per student and faculty. Each performance will have available resources to connect to in-class curriculum, providing the perfect opportunity for area youth to learn about and through the arts.
The goals of the Literature to Life Series include:
* To connect literature to nationally recognized, award-winning performances for elementary and middle school aged children
* Provide what will be the first live performance experience for many, if not most, of the children
* To inspire a love of reading and the arts as a result of this new creative way to envision a story
* To provide low income youngsters with an affordable arts opportunity
* To inspire thoughtful conversation prior to and after the performances
The funding provided by the Art Project Grant will be combined with support from Mercy Medical Center of North Iowa and the Stratford Foundation to cover artist fees for performances.
For more information about NIACC and programs such as the ones mentioned above, visit us online at www.niacc.edu
# # #
Ref # 4072