Apply – International Students
NIACC Welcomes Students From Around the World!
North Iowa Area Community College is happy to hear of your interest in our school. In order to consider your application we must receive the following:
- Application for Admission; [online form]
- A $125 (U. S.) non-refundable application fee [online form] (If you have problems paying the application fee, contact Tim.Staudt@niacc.edu, NIACC Business Office.)
- Copy of Passport
- A personal information form or print the personal information sheet
- An official high school transcript (sent directly from high school). If attended college, have official college/university transcript(s) sent directly from college/university. All such transcripts must be translated and notarized if in other than the English language. If taken the ACT or SAT test, have test scores sent.
- A bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover the cost of attendance for two (2) semester (not including scholarships) and an affidavit of support completed by person(s) legally responsible for all payment. Please note starting fall 2022 all international student are required to pay one (1) semester in advance prior to enrolling in classes. Download Affidavit of Support
- Proof of English proficiency is required. Please see the information listed below.
- Student Transfer-In Form (completed ONLY by students transferring-in to NIACC from another college/university in the US)
- Complete the housing application online
The above information should be sent to:
North Iowa Area Community College
500 College Drive
Mason City IA, 50401
When all of the above items have been received, the student’s application will be evaluated. If granted admission, a Form I-20 will be sent to the student for presentation to the American Consular Office at the time of visa (F-1 Student Visa) application and to the Immigration Officer upon your arrival in the United States. Prior to your visa being issued, you are required to complete an I-901 form and pay a SEVIS fee of $350. Visit your Consulate/Embassy website to schedule your visa interview and complete the Form DS-160 at: (www.travel.state.gov).
English Proficiency Admission Requirements
Prospective students from one of the following countries where English is the native language are not required to submit proof of English proficiency: Australia, Canada, Commonwealth Caribbean countries (Anguilla, Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Nigeria, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, and Turks and Caicos Islands), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) and United States.
Students who have successfully completed the high school core requirements in or graduated from high school where English is the primary language or who have completed 24 college/university credit hours in an English speaking country are also not required to submit proof of English proficiency.
For all other applicants: English Proficiency Requirements for Admission are either submission of TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language or IELTS – International English Language Testing System, EIKEN – Test in Practical English Proficiency (Japan), SEPT—SAKAE English Proficiency Test (Japan), or GTEC-CBT—Global Test of English Communication Computer Based Test, or PTE Academic – Pearson Test of English Academic.
The following scores are required for full admittance:
|TOEFL – – Internet-based test||60|
|TOEFL – – Paper-based test||490|
|SEPT – SAKAE Score||5|
|GTEC CBT Score||975|
|BUDGET – Two Semesters (9 months)|
|APPLICATION FEES – Payable to NIACC|
|College Application Fee (non-refundable)||$125.00|
|Student Housing – Application & Maintenance Fee||$250.00|
|COLLEGE FEES – Payable to NIACC||Semester 1||Semester 2||Total|
|Tuition and Fees (Based on full-time 16 s.h.)*||$4,558.08||$4,558.08||$9,116.16|
|Health Insurance (1st Insurance Agency)||$675.00||$675.00||$1,350.00|
|Student Housing (Room and Board – Double Occupancy)***||$3,671.00||$3,671.00||$7,342.00|
|Total College Fees||$8,979.08||$8,979.08||$17,958.16|
|Books and Supplies (Estimated – book prices vary each semester)||$1,000.00|
|Clothing, Entertainment, Extra Food||$350.00|
|Total Other Expenses||$1,350.00|
*This is an estimate of costs/expenses. Changing credit hours, taking developmental courses, and adding/dropping classes can impact costs. The need for developmental courses depends on placement test scores. It takes 62 semester hours (s.h.) to graduate with an Associate in Arts degree (Average 15.5 s.h. per semester to graduate in two years)
**International Students are required to enroll in health insurance through 1st Agency, Inc. upon enrollment in courses at North Iowa Area Community College. The Student Development Office Manager will enroll ALL international students at the beginning of each semester. The insurance cost will be added onto the fall and spring bills and is paid automatically through NIACC. NIACC’s 1st Agency Plan Summary and Claim Forms may be found at: www.1stagency.com. There is no exception from this requirement.
***Student Housing costs vary depending on room type selected.
****Tuition and Fees are adjusted each calendar year and is subject to change at any time.
Payment in full is required at the start of each semester unless a payment plan is in place. Payment plan arrangements are made with the NIACC Business Office. Contact Tim Staudt at: email@example.com
Payment Plan: Due dates for the fall semester: September 1, October 1, November 1 and December 1
Payment Plan: Due dates for the spring semester: February 1, March 1, April 1 and May 1