Apply – International Students
NIACC Welcomes Students From Around the World!
North Iowa Area Community College is happy to hear of your interest in our school. In order to consider your application we must receive the following:
- Application for Admission; [online form]
- A $150 (U. S.) non-refundable application fee [online form] (Email Tim.Staudt@niacc.edu for instructions on how to pay over the phone with a credit card, by email or other verified means.)
- Copy of Passport
- A personal information form or print the personal information sheet
- An official high school transcript (sent directly from your high school). If you have attended college, you must have official college transcript(s) sent directly from your college. All such transcripts must be translated and notarized if in other than the English language.
- If you have taken the ACT or SAT, please provide us these test scores, IF NOT, that is fine, you will take placement exams online, prior to arrival, before registering for classes, communicate with Valeria.Gonzalez@niacc.edu and she will email instructions to you.
- A bank statement showing a balance with sufficient funds to cover the cost of attendance for two (2) semesters (not including scholarships) and/or other official financial documents that would show such funds and an affidavit of support completed by person(s) legally responsible for all payment. (Two (2) semesters equals one (1) academic year.) A budget with the cost of attendance is below. Download Affidavit of Support
Please note: All international students are required to pay a $2000 deposit prior to enrolling in classes their first semester. The $2000 deposit will be put towards your tuition and fees. A payment arrangement can be made for remaining balance each semester, but must be paid in full prior to enrolling for following semester. See attached Affidavit of Support. Please complete and submit and provide a bank statement (or other official financial documents) showing sufficient funds to cover the cost of attendance for two (2) semesters (not including scholarships) and an affidavit of support completed by person(s) legally responsible for all payment. (Two (2) semesters equals one (1) academic year.)
- Proof of English proficiency is required. Please see the information listed below.
- Student Transfer-In Form (completed ONLY by students transferring-in to NIACC from another college/university in the US)
- Complete the housing application online, and pay $250 Housing Maintenance Fee.
- Complete the NIACC Foundation Scholarship Application. Priority Deadline is, March 1st.
The above information should be sent to:
North Iowa Area Community College
500 College Drive
Mason City IA, 50401
When all of the above items (1-9), as applicable, have been received, your application will be evaluated. A decision will be reached regarding your acceptance for admission at NIACC. It may take at least three (3) months to process your application. If you are granted admission at NIACC, you will receive Form I-20 A-B to be completed and presented to the American Consular Office at the time of your Visa application and to the Immigration Office upon your arrival in the United States.
Prior to your Visa being issued, you are required to complete an I-901 form and pay a SEVIS fee of $350 @ www.FMJFEE.com. Complete the Form DS160 @ www.travel.state.gov and schedule your Visa Interview with your consulate/embassy website.
All International Students are REQUIRED to enroll in health insurance through 1st Agency, Inc. upon enrollment in courses at North Iowa Area Community College. The Student Development Office Manager will enroll ALL international students at the beginning of each semester. The insurance costs are added onto the fall and spring bills and are paid automatically through NIACC. NIACC’s 1st Agency Plan Summary and Claim Forms may be found at: 1stagency.com There is NO EXCEPTION to this rule.
English Proficiency Admission Requirements
Prospective students from one of the following countries where English is the native language are not required to submit proof of English proficiency: Australia, Canada, Commonwealth Caribbean countries (Anguilla, Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, and Turks and Caicos Islands), Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) and United States.
Students who have successfully completed the high school core requirements in or graduated from high school where English is the primary language or who have completed 24 college/university credit hours in an English-speaking country are also not required to submit proof of English proficiency.
For all other applicants: English Proficiency Requirements for Admission are either submission of TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language or IELTS – International English Language Testing System, EIKEN – Test in Practical English Proficiency (Japan), SEPT—SAKAE English Proficiency Test (Japan), or GTEC-CBT—Global Test of English Communication Computer Based Test, or PTE Academic – Pearson Test of English Academic.
The following scores are required for full admittance:
|TOEFL – – Internet-based test||60|
|TOEFL – – Paper-based test||490|
|SEPT – SAKAE Score||5|
|GTEC CBT Score||975|
|ESTIMATED BUDGET – Two Semesters (9 months)|
|Processing Fee (non-refundable) Automatically added to your NIACC bill||$150.00|
|Student Housing – Application & Maintenance Fee||$250.00|
|COLLEGE FEES – Payable to NIACC||Semester 1||Semester 2||Total|
|Tuition and Fees (Based on full-time 16 s.h.)*||$4,738.08||$4,738.08||$9,476.16|
|Health Insurance (1st Insurance Agency)||$700.00||$700.00||$1,400.00|
|Student Housing (Room and Board – Double Occupancy)***||$3,744.00||$3,744.00||$7,488.00|
|Total College Fees||$9,257.08||$9,257.08||$18,514.16|
|Books and Supplies (Estimated – book prices vary each semester)||$1,000.00|
|Clothing, Entertainment, Extra Food||$350.00|
|Total Other Expenses||$1,350.00|
Items to consider that may alter costs:
*This is just an estimate of costs/expenses. Changing credit hours, taking developmental courses, and adding/dropping classes may impact costs. The need for developmental courses depends on placement test scores. 62 credits are needed to graduate, not including any developmental coursework.
** All International students are initially assigned to our most affordable housing option and that cost is reflected in the estimated budget. If a student elects a different room option, Student Housing costs will vary depending on room type selected.
***Housing, Tuition and Fees are adjusted each calendar year and are subject to change at any time.
****Payment in full is required at the start of each semester, a $2,000 deposit, the first semester (that will go towards tuition and fees) is required by August 1. If enrolling your first semester in the Spring, a $2,000 deposit will be due by January 1 and a four-month payment plan, is possible, for the remaining balance of the semester, by making arrangements with the NIACC Business Office. Contact Tim Staudt to make payment arrangements at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will not be allowed to register for classes for the next semester, until their current bill is paid in full.