NIACC Bond Referendum
Why a Bond Issue?
- Funding formula has not changed since the creation of the Iowa Community College system in 1967
- The only legal method to increase funding to support infrastructure
- Favorable interest rates
- This will be the first general obligation ask of citizens in the 100 year history of NIACC
What Will the Money Be Used For?
- Support the creation of Regional Career Centers to support workforce training needs
- Expand workforce training in STEM related careers and healthcare training/opportunities
- Upgrade classroom technology
- Renovate the North Iowa Community Auditorium (Over 57,000 visitors annually)
- Enhance campus safety with additional lighting and security
- Invest in sustainable energy sources and replace mechanical systems to generate long-term savings
- Renovate classrooms and lab spaces
- Farm labs
- Career Technical Education labs
- Academic classrooms
- 1972 food service building
What Will it Cost?
The cost of this referendum is minimal and shared by the taxpayers in 11 counties. The increase in property tax on a home assessed at $100,000 is 85 cents per month and 2 cents an acre per month on agricultural land.
NIACC Serves North Iowa
- 370,008 North Iowans have received training through NIACC’s Continuing Education since 2000
- NIACC has delivered over $37.5 M in training to business and industry in North Iowa since 2000
- North Iowa students and families save over $2 M in college costs annually through H.S. concurrent enrollment
- 35% of Area 2 high school graduates attend NIACC
- 80% of NIACC graduates stay in Iowa
- 12,120 alumni live within 30 miles of Mason City