Entertainment

1-800-273-8255 makes more than a musical impact

By Kyle Stumo
Logos Lite Student
May 1, 2018

“1-800-273-8255” is a song by Logic featuring Khalid and Alessia Cara. The main point about the song is that it’s a suicide prevention song, and the actual title is the real suicide hotline number. The song is really cool in that no one really talks about hard topics or issues in society, where this song just comes at it head on. 

Mixed with a nice beat and chorus that includes a church choir into it as well, Logic, Alessia Cara and Khalid use lyrics such as, “I’ve been on the low, I’ve been taking my time, I feel like I’m out of my mind.” For me, this part means that he has been dealing with hardship, and he just doesn’t know what to do with it or how to deal with it. 

The music video is about a homosexual boy who until high school has the normal high school boy life. He finds a kid that he likes and likes him back but hides it from his family. 

His father finds out and sits him down to judge and ask questions about it. The father not knowing how his son will react pushes the song to storm out and run away. 

The kid bounces around from his partner’s house to the high school at his track coach’s office and then out on the town until he storms home and grabs the family gun. He is contemplating killing himself, but he pulls out a card with the suicide prevention hotline and gives it a call. 

At the end of the story, he is married with his partner, and they have an adopted kid together. Both of the partners’ parents are there, and just by talking with them and understanding, they are all there for each other and are a happy family. 

The song went platinum in multiple countries and was also nominated for a Grammy award. In interviews with Logic’s fans, many of them go on to say the song helped save their lives and spoke to them on another level more than anything like it. 

People who are famous have a voice that is heard around the world, but using their impact on a song is something that is really special.

To Top