NIACC has a great relationship with other public and private 4-year schools to ensure that students have a positive experience should they choose to transfer after completing courses or a degree at NIACC.
If you are interested in transferring to a 4-year public or private institution after attending NIACC, it is highly recommended that you do some research about the school you are intending to transfer to as soon as you can. This will ensure that you will have the most accurate information possible about the courses you take at NIACC and how they transfer as well as to what you need to accomplish at NIACC in order to be accepted at the other school. The earlier you know where you are planning to transfer to, the earlier a counselor can help you to ensure a seamless transfer.
Steps you should take if you’re looking to eventually transfer:
- Talk with a NIACC counselor about which courses will best transfer
- Find out the school’s admission/academic program requirements
- Research the program/major you plan to transfer into
- Consult course equivalency guides (if provided) showing how courses you take at NIACC will transfer to that particular school
- Apply to the school
- Visit the school; it’s the best way for you to know if it would be a good fit for you. Some schools even offer designated transfer visit days.
- Refer to transferiniowa.org if you are considering attending one of the three Regent Institutions: Iowa State University, University of Iowa, or University of Northern Iowa
- Look into housing options at or near the school
Talk to your counselor if you already know you plan to attend one of the Iowa Regent Universities (Iowa State University, University of Iowa, or University of Northern Iowa) as these schools might have special programs specifically for community college students.
The Iowa Regents colleges have programs that allow academic advising from your planned transfer institution while you’re attending NIACC.
Iowa State University Admissions Partnership Program: http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/partnership/
University of Iowa 2 Plus 2: http://admissions.uiowa.edu/2plus2/
University of Northern Iowa Admissions Partnership Program: https://www.uni.edu/admissions/app
Buena Vista University (located on the NIACC Campus): http://www.bvu.edu/degree-completion/locations/mason-city