The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) course significantly expands on the knowledge and skills of an EMT. This 113-hour course consists of didactic and hands-on lab skill sessions. Content consists of in-depth anatomy and physiology, understanding of disease processes, effects of intravenous therapy, and pharmacology. Additional advanced-level skills will be introduced including IV therapy and medication administration. An additional 52 hours of hospital clinical and 48 hours of ambulance ride time are required. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be eligible to test for EMS certification through the National Registry of EMT’s.
Entrance Requirements for Advanced EMT:
- Must be at least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- Must be able to speak, write, and read English proficiently.
- Must be physically and emotionally capable of performing all functions and skills of an AEMT.
- Must possess maturity of judgment and sound moral character.
- Must provide documentation of current certification in BLS for Healthcare Providers and State of Iowa EMT-B or EMT certification.
- A physical examination, immunization record, and background check is required prior to beginning the hospital or field clinical portion of the course.
Note: A criminal background check and adult/dependent abuse checks will be required. Drug testing may also be required by individual agencies. Results of these checks will be used by contracted clinical facilities to determine clinical eligibility. Costs for background checks will be included in tuition costs. All other costs will be the responsibility of the student.