Student Life

Transitioning from High School to College

Prospective students are encouraged to contact NIACC Disability Services in the early stages of their college planning. Besides reading more information about our office from our website, it’s possible to meet with the Disability Services Counselor prior to admission to obtain information about registering with NIACC Disability Services, eligibility for academic support services and accommodations, housing considerations, and transition issues.

Want more information?Employer at computer reading inbox - Photo

Download and read:

Transitioning from High School to College [pdf], a comparison chart that covers possible differences between High School & College. This document covers areas such as legal basis for services, studying, tests and grading, and more.


Letter to Parents – from Jane Jarrow, Ph.D.  Jane has established a reputation for being knowledgeable and articulate in understanding and presenting the issues of importance related to disability in the higher education arena.  She is a prolific author and an acknowledged leader in the field.  Her professional involvement in this field spans ~ 30 years.

North Iowa Area Community College complies with all applicable federal and state regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. These regulations affirm that any qualified person receive reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to educational opportunities, services, programs and activities at the college.

The following are links to websites offering information about transitioning from high school to college.