NIACC Disability Services supports petitions for course substitutions in cases of non-major-specific course requirements as a reasonable accommodation. A course substitution may be considered if the impact of the disability supports the petition and if the course in consideration is not essential to your major.
Furthermore, in order for the course to be considered for substitution, there needs to be evidence that a student either cannot pass the course with accommodations or would have extreme difficulty doing so.
If a student chooses to initiate a petition, the student should adhere to the following procedure:
- The student must provide evidence that the effects of the disability support the need for the course substitution request.
- Requests are required in writing. The request should include:
a. Information of the condition that is the basis of the request;
b. A clear description of the desired course substitution request;
c. An explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition
- Meet with the Counselor for Disability Services at NIACC to review Information and discuss procedures. There must be evidence that the disability has a significant impact on the learning of the coursework in question.
- If the petition is supported by NIACC Disability Services, the Counselor for Disability Services will write a letter of support and provide this letter to the NIACC Registrar. The NIACC Registrar will notify the Division Chairperson who works with the particular course in question.
- NIACC Disability Services will not support a petition for course substitution if the course is essential (fundamental) to the degree program being sought. Each request is entertained on a case-by-case basis.
- Substitutions are not automatically supported for persons who may have had substitutions or waivers of a curriculum requirement from other institutions.
- Course substitutions provided at NIACC may not be honored at transfer institutions. It is recommended that the student contact prospective transfer institutions for verification.