Housing Accommodations Based on Disability Related Needs
North Iowa Area Community College is committed to achieving access to housing for students with disabilities. Accommodations will be provided within basic guidelines, with the understanding that students with disabilities may require unique housing accommodations, which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
First, a student must register with NIACC Disability Services using the process outlined.
For your convenience, a Housing Accommodation Online Request form is provided. A Housing Accommodation Request must be made on a yearly basis.
If you prefer to make your request in paper form, the request should include:
- Information about your disability and related need that is the basis of the request by a qualified provider;
- A clear description of the desired housing configuration;
- An explanation of how the request relates to the impact of your disability
- An indication of the consequences if the accommodation is not provided;
- Possible alternatives that may work if the housing accommodation request in not possible.
Example of factors that may be considered when evaluating housing requests on a case-by-case basis:
- Severity of the condition
- Timing of the request
- Feasibility / Availability (e.g. Is space available that meets the student’s needs? Can space be adapted without creating a safety hazard? Will the request affect other housing residents? Are there other effective methods that would fulfill the student’s needs?).
You will be providing at least 2 items of documentation:
- Student responses to the questions listed above in #2 through #5.
- Information about your disability that provides the basis of your request from a qualified provider.