Housing Requests Based on Disability Related Needs
North Iowa Area Community College is committed to achieving access to housing for students with disabilities. Accommodations will be provided within basic guidelines, with the understanding that students with disabilities may require unique housing accommodations, which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Requests (submitted yearly) are required in writing. These requests should include:
- Information about the condition or need that is the basis of the request by a qualified provider;
- A clear description of the desired housing configuration;
- An explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition
- An indication of the consequences if the accommodation is not provided;
- Possible alternatives if the housing accommodation request in not possible.
The information provided to support a request will be reviewed by the Counselor for Disability Services and all paperwork will be held in the NIACC Student Access Center, AB-106.
Below is a summary of the factors considered when evaluating housing requests
- Severity of the condition
- Timing of the request
- Feasibility / Availability (e.g. Is space available that meets the student’s needs? Can space be adapted without creating a safety hazard? Will the request affect other housing residents? Are there other effective methods that would fulfill the students needs?).