RSVP of North Central Iowa is part of a national network of programs called Senior Corps that recruits adults 55 and older to use their skills, talents, and life experience to help meet community needs through volunteer service. RSVP is sponsored by North Iowa Area Community College.
The RSVP service area includes Cerro Gordo, Hancock, Winnebago and Worth counties. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Reading Buddy – an elementary school literacy tutoring program
- Reading Coaches – a middle school literacy and mentoring program
- Pen Pals – an intergenerational letter-writing program
- Breakfast Buddy – mentoring students at elementary school breakfast
- Cerro Gordo County emergency/disaster – including Phone Bank Operators and Volunteer Reception Center Volunteers
- International Friends – matching volunteers with NIACC international students
- IRIS – Iowa Radio Reading Information Service for the Blind
- Volunteer Ombudsman – an advocacy program for care facility residents
- Walking School Bus – proving safe routes to elementary schools in Mason City
Who can volunteer?
The only requirement to join RSVP is that you be 55 or older and have a desire to make a difference in your community. You do not have to be retired and you do not have to meet any income guidelines.
When you share your time and talents, you make an impact. No one in the world has had the exact same experiences you have had and no one else can share what those experiences have taught you. Volunteer to share your experience today!