Advanced Nurse Aide
This Course is designed as an optional additional unit of instruction to the state approved 75-hour Nurse Aide course. The 75-hour Nurse Aide course meets the OBRA (Nursing Home Reform) requirements for nurse aides who work in long term care. This additional material provides the learner with content emphasizing the knowledge, attitude and skills necessary for providing patient care in an acute setting.
The first 45 hours of the course are held in a classroom/lab setting divided into 30 hours of theory and 15 hours of lab. The remaining 30 hours of clinical will be in a hospital or acute care setting.
The student must provide proof of successful completion of the 75-hour Nurse Aide course and provide a copy of BLS for healthcare workers card. Must have a clear background check before the start of class. Must provide proof of successful completion of Child and Dependent adult abuse, physical and immunization forms as required by the clinical site, prior to the start of class. Failure to complete all requirements will result in dismissal from the course.
The following pre-requisite documentations must be turned in to the Continuing Education Office at NIACC, prior to the first day of class:
- Traditional State of Iowa approved 75-hour CNA certificate or transcript
- Child and Depend Adult Abuse Training, Certificate of completion
- CPR certificate (provide a copy of your card – online CPR certificates will not be accepted)
- Documentation of vaccination/immunizations. You MUST complete immunization record on the physical form.
- Mandatory Criminal and Adult Abuse background form must be completed and signed in the Continuing Education Office at NIACC within 30 days prior to the first class.
Mosby’s Textbook For Nursing Assistants, 10th ed., Sorrentino & Remmert. ISBN 978-0-323-65560-6.
Textbooks are available through the NIACC Book Zone