Continuing Education Unit Award
The contact point for registration for all continuing education programs, including questions regarding these programs, is North Iowa Area Community College, 1-888-GO-NIACC, ext. 4358.
Continuing education contact hours will be awarded on the basis of actual presence and attendance and on satisfactory completion of the program. Participants need to be present for the entirety of the program to receive a Certificate of Completion and continuing education credit. Each participant will be responsible for picking up their certificate at the end of the program. If successful completion of final test is a requirement for course completion, the certificate will be mailed to the participant.
Continuing education credits will be awarded to those identified under the “CE/CEH/CME” section of each program.
The certificate of attendance may be used to report contact hours for continuing education credit, if relevant, for the following audiences:
Dietetics, Mortuary Science, Nursing Home Administration, Physical & Occupational Therapy, Behavioral Science, Psychologists, Massage Therapists, Dentists, Dental Assistants/Hygienists, Respiratory Therapists, Speech Pathologists/Audiologist, Social Workers.
The participant is to retain the certificate and program materials for the duration of the licensing period in case of audit. Participants continue to be responsible for attaining program CEH validation for their appropriate credentialing agency.
Nurses must keep certificates for four (4) years. This is the period of time the Iowa Board of Nursing can audit individual records.
Duplicate certificates are available through the Continuing Education Department at NIACC for the cost of $10 per certificate.
North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) is:
- An Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider for continuing education for licensed nursing personnel and has been issued Provider No. 3.
- A State Department of Health Emergency Medical Services approved sponsor of continuing education programs for Basic and Advanced EMS personnel, Provider No. 2.
Refunds: Prepayment of course fees is required at the time of registration for the program. Registration is not processed until payment is received. Students who notify NIACC Continuing Education – 641-422-4358 to drop a Continuing Education class 2 days before the start date, will receive a 100% refund. If after hours must leave a message. No refund will be issued for failing to attend class.
Continuing Education (CE) Rule Changes – Effective January 1, 2018
The Iowa Board of Nursing, on July 11, 2017, adopted new continuing education rules applicable to all Iowa licensed nurses and Iowa board approved providers of nursing continuing education. Changes to the Iowa Administrative Code (IAC) 655 Chapter 5, Continuing Education chapter will become effective January 1, 2018. The new rules may be found by visiting the Iowa Administrative Bulletin, pages 623-631, published September 13, 2017.
The following is a summary of the changes:
- Contact hour change from 50 to 60 minutes
- Contact hours are defined in both the approved provider and licensee sections of the rules
- Requirement that all licensees (e.g. 2 or 3 year license) need to have 36 contact hours of CE
- Expanded the list of acceptable approved providers
- Added that ANCC providers without Iowa approval may offer coursework in Iowa without co-sponsorship of an Iowa approved provider
- Removed the restriction that webinars from out of state must be co-sponsored by Iowa approved providers
- Provided specific lists of acceptable courses and certifications by which to earn CE
- Professional license numbers and EMS numbers are needed for registration and permanent record keeping. Be sure to provide this information at the time of registration.
- Unless otherwise stated, program fees for each listing include handouts and record keeping costs. Refreshments/lunch will only be included and appropriate fees assessed if specifically stated in program information.
- We announce program cancellations/postponements due to weather conditions over local radio, and on the NIACC web site.
- If online access is not available for complete information on each program, contact NIACC at 1-888-466-4222, ext. 4358 or 641-422-4358.
- No audio or videotaping is permitted without obtaining prior written approval from the instructor through the program coordinator.
- Participants will be asked to complete a program evaluation at the close of the program.
- Nurses may submit a program evaluation directly to the Iowa Board of Nursing for any program offered by an approved provider of continuing education.
- A “written” program grievance may be filed with the NIACC within 30 days of the program.
- North Iowa Area Community College is committed to the policy that all persons shall have access to its programs, facilities, and employment without discrimination based upon race, religion, colors, creed, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, age, disability (physical or mental disability), veteran status, or genetic information .
For questions in regard to nursing continuing education, contact NIACC at 641-422-4437.